Friday, August 19, 2011

The World Mermaid Awards and MerCon 2011 in Las Vegas Report



So I figured it's been about a week that I've been back now and it's probably time for me to post about my adventure to Las Vegas for the World Mermaid Awards and MerCon.

I've posted a bunch of photos on my website @ VancouverMermaid.com!

So, where to begin? I'll have to ponder this for a minute or two since I have so many good things to say and a few not so wonderful things to report...

I will start by saying a big thank you to everyone who has been super supportive, (Mum you are at the tip-top of my list of awesome people!) and to all the amazing mermaids and mermen that I met! You guys really did make the event worth all the stress and chaos! I was even recognized by a few fans of my Facebook page! Ha ha! It was so nice to finally meet you all in person!

It was also a real honor to finally meet and swim with Hannah Fraser and MeduSirena! You two are so inspiring! It was so amazing to finally get to tell you both how much you and your work means to me and how much you have both changed my life for the better! Thank you!

Overall it was a wonderful event. I participated in the pageant, which I really wasn't planning on, and had a blast being carried out onto the stage and posing for photos!

The booths were a little unorganized, but given all the nonsense that took place the week off, I figure it turned out pretty well! I know there were a few people who weren't as impressed and pretty disappointed at the turn out and lack of general organization. I did feel pretty bad for the vendors who had put in so much time, energy and money to have things turn out the way they did.

The pool party was a pretty big success I would say. It was wonderful getting to swim with all my fellow mers and pose for many pictures and generally hang out with everyone. The pool was pretty small which meant I got a few fins in the face here and there while swimming, but HEY what are you going to do when you are swimming with 40+ other mermaids eh? Ha ha!

Another big highlight was getting to meet Thom Shouse, the designer of Daryl Hannah's tail in splash!

Now for the not so happy stuff...

I think the big thing that really disappointment me was that my video (which had been completed and submitted with time to spare) wasn't going to be shown. I pretty much had to demand that it be shown... (I brought the emails I printed with Sita telling me it wasn't going to be a problem at all) I worked so hard on it, as did my mum and my friends and it was just decided at the last minute that it was somehow "too late." Not impressed.

My video was played after much squabbling... Thank goodness I was smart enough to bring along a DVD copy!

Overall it was an amazing adventure and lots of fun. I don't think I'll be willing to attend it in following years if it is run in the same unprofessional manner though... I really care for being made out to be some kind of trouble maker and I really didn't appreciate the video nonsense.

I have been really happy to see everyone else's photos and videos! Great work everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Miss Mermaid! You did it! Loved the video. I am so happy for you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write-up! But...I can't wait for you to see the write-up for your upcoming event at Mosquito Creek - very impressive!

    As to the above event - you held your own beautifully. Not only was your tail the most mermaid-like, according to many that were in attendance, it was also the only one there made of Neoprin - so for that reason alone you were a front runner!

    Now...as you so smartly wrote...time to put that behind you and ride the next big wave, that's rolling in this September, onward to great adventures.

    Hugs, your #1 fan - Moo-tastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was this the 1st convention? If so hopefully next year some kinks will get worked out. I've been on steering committees for big fund raiser events and the first year is difficult. If this wasn't the first year then I would have to agree with you. So glad that you got to be on stage and photographed and got to swim with the other memaids!! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! It's Mermaid Kylee~ International Mermaid Mrs. Weeki Wachee. I just wanted to let you know it was great meeting you in Vegas! You looked amazing in the Pageant! Loved the green/blue tail. Also, did you see the great photos of us! I heard that might make it in the Mermaid Magazine :) Take Care and look me up if you are in Florida Performing almost every day at Weeki Wachee Springs Florida State Park, City of live mermaids!

    ReplyDelete