Thursday, July 7, 2011

Effect Change Challenge - July 2011

I've finally figured out how I am going to start off with the many conservation projects I've had floating in my mind! I'm going to start off with a short story about something that happened to me yesterday on my way to work and then I am going to ask you all for a small favor that can potentially have a large, very positive effect on our oceans.

Yesterday, on my way to work, I came across a dead crow. It's perfect, undamaged little body was in the lane of the parking lot of the studio where I work. I was stunned. Even now I can't really explain what I felt when I saw it. I just knew I had to do something to move it so that it wouldn't get crushed by the four or five other cars that would likely be parking in the lot within the next fifteen to twenty minutes.

Just across the way is the Vancouver SPCA and I figured that if anyone would be able to help me, it would be them! So off I went! Of course the main part of the SPCA isn't open until 10am, so I ran over to the vet clinic instead. I was given a number to call and that was it. Not good enough! So I asked that they give me gloves, a bag and a towel (since at this point I wasn't actually certain that the crow was dead). I was pretty disappointed with the reaction of the woman helping me. Don't misunderstand me, she was friendly and did give me what I asked for, but it was pretty clear that this dead or dying animal wasn't worth more effort than a phone call so someone else could deal with it.

Within a few minutes I was back at the lot and it was pretty clear now that the crow wasn't alive. I spread out the towel, put on the gloves and gently scooped up the crows body and placed it in the middle of the towel. Physically it looked fine, it's feathers were in good condition, it's eyes were still clear and from what I could tell it hadn't been dead long. Why did it die? What had happened? Above me on the ledge of the building, a group of crows were calling and looking at me. It was a little unnerving...

After taking a moment to say a few words quietly to myself and to the crow, I disposed of his body as nicely as I could with the tools I had.

So what is my point? My point is that people have no respect for life that isn't human. We are all taught that human life is sacred and that when a human dies, this is something sad, a loss. Well my question to you dear readers is what makes the crow's life any different? Just because they are considered a "nuisance" and that there are approximately 38 million of them in the world? Well at a whopping 6+ billion humans there are plenty out there that I (and many others) would consider to be nuisances too!

So what makes the crow different? Think about it.

Effect Change Challenge - July 2011

So for this month's Effect Change Challenge, I would like to ask you all to think about the number of plastic bags you use in a month and where you think they end up. I would like to challenge you all to really make an effort this month to use your reusable cloth bags and avoid the use of plastic bags!

I would also like to give you a tip! There are companies out there that are making biodegradable plastic bags in a variety of shapes and sizes! Why not try them out? Also remember that you can use sandwich bags more than once! Don't just toss them after one use! Try to rinse them out and use them again!

Together we can make a difference!

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that crows will often surround the body of a dead crow and have what seems like a mourning/funeral time? They are such intelligent birds. I'm sure his family appreciated your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miss CP,

    What a post...felt your pain. I'm happy that you have a big heart and are so caring. You do a mother proud.

    And as Carole says, I think your kindness did not go unnoticed, not only with the onlooking crows, but with the universe; it sees everything.

    I have been reading your wonderful posts, but due to major renos at the shop and poor time management I am only now making the rounds to add a few words.

    Big Hugs sweetie,
    Moo-tastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Carole: That's exactly what I'm trying to say! Cows mourn the loss of other cows, so do dogs, whales, parrots, lions, pigs, elephants and any number of other animals on this planet. But it this doesn't seem to effect humans in any way... If it isn't human, it doesn't matter. :(

    I really do hope that his family understood what I was trying to do.

    @Mum: I had a good teacher *wink* to show my right from wrong. Remember that time that you helped me rescue that dying pigeon off of the balcony at our old apartment when I was little? You put it in a box with a towel and we took it to the vet? Seeing the crow reminded me of that.

    How goes the shop renovation? Still hard at work I bet! Wow... You do realize you replied at 2AM!? Go to bed earlier Moo! ;)

    Thanks for the great responses you guys!

    ReplyDelete