Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Mer Community...

I've just visited Mer Yuku (a Mermaid and Merman Costuming Forum/Community) and read a few things that I am finding really disturbing and am really considering whether or not I really want to be a part of it all with this particular community.

A "review" of the forum was recently made by a member and some very strong points about mer politics were made. To be completely honest, after three months of being part of the "community" I have noticed that a lot of the points made are without a doubt true.

You girls (yes, mostly girls) are horribly mean to each other! You post replies to things that make me want to cry! How can you all think that it's OK to speak to each other this way! How would you feel if someone came up to you on the street and made inappropriate and hurtful comments? AND WHY IS IT ALWAYS WOMEN!? Come on ladies. Seriously? Show a little love! How can any of you call yourselves mers if you can't go three posts without tearing someone else apart!

Now that I've got that out of my system I would like to add that there are quite a few of you who are really kind and full of great ideas and wonderful comments. To all of you wonderful mers (and non-mers) I would like to say thank you! You are the glue that really does hold this community together.

I would also like to take a moment to say that some people need to keep their thoughts and comments to themselves. This is for all of the mers out there who have trouble swimming or do not get the chance to be in the water as much to practice. You guys and gals are all still mers to me! I applaud you for not giving up! This is meant to be fun for everyone and to bring an important environmental message in some cases too!

I am a professional designer, but I would NEVER go up to someone and say flat out, YOU CAN'T DRAW or YOU SUCK. That is so awful that it makes me sick to even think of it! I am always happy to help and give pointers! I always invite people to ask me questions! I want everybody to have a good time and enjoy themselves!

OK. I swear I am almost through with my crazy rant, I promise! ;)

Now so far as this whole getting-your-tail-design-ripped-off-by-another-mer deal, I would like to say the following:

I have had artwork ripped off before. I have had people steal art of mine, change it slightly and claim it for their own. It doesn't feel very nice. Especially when I am so eager to help people! Heck, I always have commission spots open, fire me an email and I'll get back to you ASAP!

When Hannah Mermaid made a comment on her site about being original and using your own inner mer to create a tail from your heart that is unique to you, I really don't think she was being unfair at all. In fact, I totally agree with her! Not only that, but if it wasn't for her tips and tricks, I'd still be swimming around in my old spandex tail that is falling apart!

I will also point out that it wasn't soon after she posted her tips, that three or four people (I won't name names or anything) came up with tails that were remarkably similar to the point where I would see underwater footage and would double check to make sure it wasn't Hannah! I know it's hard to reinvent the wheel and all that, but do try to find out what defines you and incorporate that into your tail somehow! I know you can do it!

I am also happy to provide info and help with base designs for people who need a helping hand to start them off in a direction!

So to sum up, since I know I've been rambling a little bit here, please be nice to your fellow mers. Remember that people and mers do have feelings and we all just want to be happy!

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to find an online mer-community (really did think I was the only one, silly me) and this was the first post I found. Hopefully things have gotten better - I'm a graphic designer/illustrator myself and am already frustrated with how women treat each other, was hoping for some respite within a community of likeminded people :/

    ReplyDelete